Focus, Happiness, and the Golden Age of TV

Home Forums General Focus, Happiness, and the Golden Age of TV

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  rezelscheft 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

rezelscheft
    Participant

Brendan was saying something about how TV is church now and then Jeff was saying something about some shit he read about how we’re in a golden age of TV because streaming technology allows us to binge watch and some sciencetician somewhere said some bullshit that TV makes us happy because we focus intently on it.

This made me half-remember a bunch of stats I read while working on the Comcast account 3-4 years ago, which is that most people don’t focus solely on TV while watching. If not an outright majority, than at least a statistically significant number watch TV while using a laptop and looking at their phones and tweeting and whatever the fuck.

It’s called multi-screening, and it’s the worst.

tl;dr: Jeff referenced a dumb-ass who knows less about modern consumption habits than a self-hating mid-level ad hack.

jeffreyd
    Keymaster

Absolutely, that is a thing people do. But there are certain shows people are less inclined to do it with. I just ended a big project with AMC, and they do a ton of audience research to see what their audiences are doing … for The Walking Dead, in particular, they’re watching to see what happens … often when the show is actually airing … & they do their second screening during the ad breaks. Because fuck the ads, which is ironically the only thing the networks actually want you to watch.

But also the point being that regardless of what our television habits are, it is a truism that we are happier when we are focused.

jeffreyd
    Keymaster

I would also like to point out that Brian L. Perkins seems particularly fired up about the Dad Jeans universe lately. If you come back and join us on the air I would be happy to give you a full body massage to ease your aching soul. Happy ending optional.

rezelscheft
    Participant

rezelscheft
    Participant

PS – I’m always fired up about the Dad Jeans universe, it just took me awhile to find my word press login.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.